I just love the idea of making a useful and pretty DIY fabric basket from an old diaper box.
I’ve been seeing this project so many times on Pinterest, so I really wanted to try this project myself.
Having small children, you often end up with a lot of these, so why not make something useful of them?
These old diaper boxes are the perfect size for making an easy fabric basket.
The finished basket is great for storing all different kinds of things.
I’ll be using mine in my home office, for storing all those small items I never know how or where to keep! ( my stickers, washi tapes, coloring pens, labels ++)
Most of the tutorials I’ve seen you have to be able to sew. Well, unfortunately, I’m terrible at sewing!
So I ended up just forgetting about the project until one day I saw one of these empty diaper boxes in our storage room. I had one of those a lightbulb moment.
I can just use glue! There’s a glue that you can use on just about everything.
I’m sure I can find a glue that can be used on fabric. A quick stop at Staples and I found both regular glue and spray adhesive to use on fabric.
HOW TO MAKE A DIY FABRIC BASKET FROM AN OLD DIAPER BOX
- White fabric for the inside of the box
- Fabric for the outside of the box
- Fabric glue, and adhesive spray
- Handle (optional)
1. Start getting your empty diaper box ready and cut of the four cardboard “wings”.
2. Use one of the cardboard pieces you just cut off to re-enforce the side where you want your handle to be.
You can also use the remaining cardboard pieces to reinforce and fill in the bottom of your box.
3. Make the holes for the handle, check to see if the handle holds.
4. Measure your diaper box, and measure up the fabrics you’re using.
Add a little bit to your measures for a folding seam, where you’ll be gluing. Cut out the fabric.
5. Start with covering/ spraying glue to the bottom inside of your box, center the fabric where the bottom of your box will be.
6. Then you’ll glue/spray as you go around the box and attach the fabric to all the sides of the box.
7. When you’re finished with covering the inside of your box, lay out the outside fabric.
8. Place your box on top of the fabric centered where the bottom side should be, work yourself around the box and glue the fabric to all the sides of the box.
9. Fold a simple edge on the inside of the box, and glue it to secure.
Now you just need to find the holes that you made earlier for the handle, use a sharp scissor and make small holes through the fabric.
10. Attach your handle to the box, and you’re finished!
Make sure to use a thicker fabric for the outside of the box, and not regular thin cotton. If your fabric is too thin you’ll be able to see through it, and that’s not pretty!
(Click on any of the images for the full information regarding size options and other details)
There are so many beautiful fabrics to choose from, pick a fabric with your favorite colors and design to match the rest of the room.
For being my first try at this, I’m super happy with my new storage basket.
I’ll definitely be making a couple more of these for some added storage to our new home office.
I hope you enjoyed this easy DIY projects. Be sure to leave a comment down below if you have any questions or feedback.